Sometimes it can happen to experience psychological distress (for example anxiety, depression, eating disorders, panic attacks, phobias, obsessive compulsive disorder, performance anxiety, chronic shyness, stress related to work…).
In these cases, it’s very important to have the courage to ask for help to a competent specialist (psychologist or psychiatrist): it can make a difference and help the individual to restore a state of well-being.
If a person is facing a state of psychological suffering, and at the same time is not able to express it because he/she is not able (or has difficulties with) to speak the language of the country where he/she is living, one can feel very lonely and even more distressed.
For this reason, this page has the aim to raise awareness of a mental-health service provided in English by psychologists, psychotherapists and psychiatrists who are either bilingual or have an excellent level of English (in Milan).
Contact one of our specialists:
– Clinical psychologist Martina Larsen Paya
at +39 349 1696270, email@example.com
– Clinical psychologist Martina Trinchieri
at +39 3935564912, firstname.lastname@example.org
– Psychiatrist Licia Lietti at +39 338 5019524
- Which are the difficulties for which one may consult a psychologist? A very wide range of situations involving psychological suffering: anxiety, depression, eating disorders, panic attacks, phobias, obsessive compulsive disorder, sleep disorders, performance anxiety, chronic shyness, stress related to work and many others.
- Is depression a mental illness or disorder? Depression is a common mental disorder that causes people to experience depressed mood, loss of interest or pleasure, feelings of guilt or low self-worth, disturbed sleep or appetite, low energy, and poor concentration. Depression is different from feeling down or sad.
- Am I Depressed or Anxious? Depression and anxiety disorders: not the same. Depression and anxiety disorders are different, but people with depression often experience symptoms similar to those of an anxiety disorder, such as nervousness, irritability, and problems sleeping and concentrating. A proper diagnosis made by a psychologist can help you to understand.
- What is a psychological interview? It is an interview designed to understand and frame an individual psychological suffering, in order to possibly set a treatment and its characteristics based on the characteristics and needs of the individual himself. It can be performed by either a psychologist or a psychiatrist.
- What is a psychotherapy? Psychotherapy is a form of treatment provided by apsychotherapist (a person who, after graduating in psychology or medicine, has undertaken a specialization within a school of psychotherapy). It is also called “talking therapy”: this is because the main instrument of psychotherapy are words, the dialogue and the relationship that is established from the communication that takes place between the therapist and the individual.
- What is a psychiatric interview? It is an interview which is conducted by a psychiatrist (a doctor specialized in psychiatry). In a psychiatric interview there will be an investigation of the psychological stress, a collection of information and an investigation of the medical history. Psychiatrists may suggest and may prescribe pharmacotherapy. Pharmacotherapy can be very useful in a first phase of a treatment, especially to manage a situation of strong crisis in a brief period of time.
- Can I benefit from a combined treatment of psychotherapy and pharmacotherapy? Yes, you absolutely can, and it is also recommended: there are plenty of scientific evidence demonstrating the utility of a combined therapeutic approach for many disorders